In Defence of Volunteer Work

Tiffany Champagne is a final term MLIS student, and previously received her B.A. in History from Brescia University College. She enjoys drawing, writing, and reading (of course), and when not hard at work, often thinks about resume building and standing out. You can read more of her thoughts on librarianship at her blog here.


If any of you were like me, you often were told in high school, and perhaps beyond, that volunteer experience “looks good on a resume!” I’m not about to argue that. Nor am I going to argue that volunteering isn’t a good thing in general. But volunteering in libraries is a whole other ballpark.

If any of you were like me, you were told to get library experience while still in school. This is sound advice! But there are only so many library assistant positions to go around, so many people will turn to volunteering instead. Imagine my shock when I heard that a lot of hiring managers tend to, overall, discount volunteer library experience!

I can, on some level, understand why: paid positions entail some degree of specialization, or at least different responsibilities than would be given a volunteer. That doesn’t mean I agree. Certainly, if you’re only volunteering for a month or two, I imagine you wouldn’t get that much in the way of experience. But what if you keep at it? I can’t speak for anything but my own experience, but when I volunteered in an information institution (archives), I found myself with more responsibility as time went on, because I was around often enough to prove to my boss that I could handle the responsibility. I won’t say that my experience is everyone’s experience, but long-term volunteer work at one particular place should be enough for someone to take notice.

The idea behind this came from a discussion on LinkedIn, where members were discussing the relevancy of library work. I mention this only because it brought up a solid point that I hadn’t considered: volunteering at a place you want to work at is a good idea. You can show off your skills to potential employers directly, and should a job opening come through, they might just let you know ahead of time. (Note: I’m not saying they definitely will. Please don’t assume volunteering long enough leads to insta-job.)

That’s not the only reason I’m in support of volunteer work. While yes, a volunteer may not have the same duties as that of a paid employee, it can really help familiarize you with the workplace culture of that particular place. Maybe you find you don’t like it – well, in that case, it’s not hard to gracefully make an exit. If you like it, great! Keep on working.

Not to mention, if an institution is looking for volunteer positions at all, that suggests there is a real need for some additional help. Your help could be very useful and appreciated! To say nothing of the skills you could gain – time management, working in teams, or working solo. These skills are always crucial to have, and if you don’t have them already, volunteering can be a great way to develop them!

Just because hiring managers don’t seem to take volunteering as seriously doesn’t mean you can’t. Volunteering can teach you a whole host of related skills that you can put to good use later, in the workforce.


Besides, it looks good on a resume!

3 comments:

Cat said...

Great article Tiffany!
I often find myself thinking that volunteering at a place you want to work is a very slippery slope to an unpaid internship... which is not something that ultimately benefits anyone.

Additionally, I would like to make a plug for volunteering in your community, not just in library-things hoping for a job later. You will gain transferable skills and meet people while making a difference in your community and lives of others. You will end up making a more valuable addition to a team. To be honest, I wouldn't want to work for an employer that doesn't value my volunteer experience.

Anonymous said...

Cat--

This is true! I've heard mixed things about volunteering at a place you want to work at -- some have said that it ultimately landed them a job, and others...not so much. I thought it was worth bringing up because it was an idea that I hadn't heard before; some people might've found it interesting.

You also make a good point about volunteering outside of library contexts. I thought it would be valuable to emphasize that volunteer (library) experience can provide skills as well, but volunteer experience in general, regardless of where it is, is also very beneficial to the community too! I also agree that anyone who overlooks volunteer experience isn't someone I'd want to work for either. It has value too.

Unknown said...

Great article Tiffany, power to the volunteers. Sitting in the Management c lass last fall and watching the class divide itself over topics such as volunteering and para-professional vs professional was almost heart breaking. It is people like you that give hope to those of us using volunteer experience to broaden our horizons and skills.

Post a Comment

Comment