Meagan Berry on Social Media



The UWO-CLA blog regularly publishes writings of its student members in order to allow our them to express their thoughts and opinions on issues in library and information science. These writings are not meant to represent the views of the UWO-CLA itself or the greater CLA organisation. Your comments and questions are encouraged on this blog. If you wish to contact the UWO-CLA directly please email claatuwo@gmail.com.

***

I would first like to welcome all the new and returned students at UWO and I hope everyone has a great term! I volunteered to write a blog post for the CLA blog for two reasons. First, I’m very excited to be apart of the UWO’s student chapter as well as serving on the executive this term and thought this would be a great opportunity. Secondly, I’ve been assigned to create a personal blog for one of my classes and this seemed like a great way to ease my way into the blogging world. Until this week I did not imagine myself to be a blog writer; however, I see enormous benefits to keeping up on all areas of the social media world. Especially when it comes to librarians. We have an ENORMOUS presence across all forms of social media. Whether you prefer quick 140 character tweets, or getting into the nitty-gritty details of the information world through blogs, WE ARE EVERYWHERE. Before starting my MLIS I subscribed to several librarian blogger sites and Twitter accounts, and read as much as I could about what was happening in the field. I didn't always understand the issues being discussed (and I still don't), but it's a great starting point. And if serious information issues aren't your thing, then there are plenty of other ways that librarians get involved online. There are hilarious librarian blogs, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr pages...you name it and we're there covering the world of books. We also cover exciting topics such as what we're reading, funny and inspiring library stories, and pictures of our cats. I encourage anyone interested in the profession, working on their MLIS, or already working in the field to get online and see what librarians are posting. It's a great way to make connections, stay up to date on issues, and stay ahead of the game by finding job postings almost as soon as their made public. So I encourage you to explore the librarian presence on the web, and hey if you’re brave enough, maybe start your own blog. Happy social media-ing!

Meagan Berry

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment